Friday, November 21, 2014

Cleaning Out My Closet

Well, actually I was cleaning out my closet and my garage and I came across a number of games that I want to give a go.  I still have a lot more stuff to go through so hopefully I'll find more - especially since I seem to be missing at least a little bit from everything.  We had a fire a few years ago and a company came in and moved everything out that wasn't destroyed and after our home was restored, moved everything back in.  Well, I never unpacked some of the stuff including most all of my sports games.

Here's what I came across:

Strat-o-matic Baseball 1995 and 1996 - missing the rules and the charts.  I know I have those somewhere unless they were destroyed in the fire - a distinct possibility.  I have no idea what projects I was working on at the time.

Strat-o-matic Basketball 1988/89 and 1995/96 Basketball - missing the fast action deck.  I think I've seen that one somewhere.  Hoping to find it in the next few days.

APBA Pro Football 1996 - Unfortunately complete.  This game in this form is not the kind of game I'm looking for.  There aren't enough players to have a full complement of backups.  The receiver cards seem like a complete waste as do the defensive cards.  Perhaps the game is a bit more in depth now or the Master Game fixes some of the problems, but I played through a quarter and it's really not my cup of tea.

Strat-o-matic Pro Football 1986 - No idea how I got this.  I wouldn't have purchased it in 1986, so I'm guessing I found it a few years later in a store.  Anyhow, I also ran a quarter of this and was disappointed with how fumbles were handled.  It seems that all ball-carriers have the same fumble rate!  That should be an easy fix and one I hope Strat has already remedied.

Dynasty League Baseball 1993 - missing the rules and charts.  I'm really hoping to find those since this might be my favorite baseball game.

Statis Pro Basketball 1988-89 - looks like it's complete!  I really had fun with this in college until I discovered Strat basketball at which point this was rarely played.  Might just play a nostalgia game or two, but I can't see doing a complete replay since Strat just does it better.

Statis Pro Baseball 1988 - also complete!  I really liked how Statis Pro had a PB rating for pitchers that determined if the result would be read of the pitcher's card or the hitter's card.  Again, I don't see doing a full replay without a better platoon system, but I could see introducing my son to sports gaming with this one.  It's fun.

Hot Corner Baseball 1992 - Looks like all I'm missing are the rules.  I don't recall much about this game at all and would love to give it a go, but I can't find the rules.  The company appears to have gone out of business and I can't find a copy of the rules online anywhere.  Anyone play this game or know where I can get a copy of the rules?  I have the charts (at least I think I have them all).

I also found my rules for Pursue the Pennant Baseball including charts for three years.  I can't find the cards or box however.  I'm hoping all the missing stuff is in a box somewhere and I find it in the next couple of weeks.  I know I have at least one other baseball game, but I can't remember what it's called.

Here's what I have my eye on that I haven't tried yet:
Replay Baseball
Replay Basketball
Second Season Pro Football
History Maker Baseball
Hockey Blast
Hockey Bones
Titlebout Boxing (when the new edition comes out)

There are also a number of computer titles I'm interested in trying out.

And as usual, I plan to review all titles here as well as update the site with progress on my replays and other projects.  What games am I missing that I should definitely try?

3 comments:

  1. Hey David - I just stumbled across your blog here. Our hobby could definitely use more blogs. Good luck and I hope you keep on posting! I like what you've got going so far.

    All the best,
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paul - Thank you. I'm hoping to start posting more regularly. There's so much to share about our hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul - I didn't realize you were the guy who puts out http://www.oneforfive.com/
    That's the gold standard. I love what you do. Your site is awesome and I've heard great things about your magazine. I really need to order that. You keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete